4/22/2008

Five with Jami Attenberg

Our next guest in the "Five with..." interview series holds a special place in my heart, I must admit. Not only have I spent something like a total of sixteen really (no really!) enjoyable hours in a car with her but, you see, a few years ago, she and I arrived in Omaha for the (downtown) omaha lit fest, shared a reading at a local bookstore, and within a matter of hours, got into a barfight with a complete stranger and won. How do you like that? A first for each of us, no less. It took one wrong word from this stranger and my glasses were off, her earrings were off, a darling lesbian couple jumped up to help, and it was on.

And, please note that exactly one month from today, she will be kicking off Pilcrow Lit Fest by reading at the Fixx Reading Series! Please welcome Jami Attenberg:

1. What are you working on now?

I am 2/3 of the way through a new novel, which means, basically, I need to figure out how it's going to end. If anyone has any suggestions, they should be sure to let me know.

2. What is your favorite part of literary festivals and why?

I like making new writer friends from all over the country. I know that makes it sound like summer camp or something, but I have met so many cool people at lit fests. There's something comforting in knowing folks from Portland or Omaha are going through the same thing I am out in Brooklyn. And even though there are so many writers in Brooklyn and NYC in general, it is still easy to fall into the trap of isolations. It's good to have something that forces you to interact and exchange ideas.

3. Who are your favorite small press mover/shaker types at the minute?

Chiasmus Press, because they just published Kevin Sampsell's wonderful new book Creamy Bullets.

4. Which author do you wish was coming to Pilcrow Lit Fest this year who is not?

Is Monica Drake coming? I want her to come.

5. If you were in charge of picking a theme song for Pilcrow Lit Fest this year, what would it be?

As We Go Up, We Go Down, by Guided By Voices.

No comments: