5/02/2008

Five with Jackie Corley

Our next guest in Pilcrow Lit Fest's "Five with" interview series is my fellow So New Publishing author, and Madam Queen over at Word Riot Press. Everyone please welcome the one and only Jackie Corley.

1. What are you working on now?

I have a short story collection coming out from So New Publishing later this year, so I'm working on promoting that. I'm writing a second novel manuscript on my favorite subject matter-- confused, misanthropic Jersey youth. (My first novel manuscript is getting shopped around.)

On the Word Riot Press front, I'm putting out two short story collections this year: Mind Games by David Gianatasio, who is too goddamn funny for words, and World Takes by Timmy Waldron, a fellow proud Jersey dude and a tremendous rising talent. WRP took a hiatus in 2007 so I'm eager to get some good fiction out into the world this year.

2. What is your favorite part of literary festivals and why?

The online and small press literary community is so close-knit and supportive but we're all so spread out that we very rarely get a chance to socialize. I love being able to take in a few screwdrivers and babble about writing until all hours. It's pretty rare in my day-today life to get to be around a large group of people passionate about the lit world and just be able to riff on books.

3. Who are your favorite small press mover/shaker types at the minute?

I really dig what Featherproof is doing. They've taken small press to this sleek, professional new level and still kept this independent spirit about them. Dzanc is incredibly impressive in their devotion to their authors.

4. Which author do you wish was coming to Pilcrow Lit Fest this year who is not?

David Barringer. I think he's one of the best small press talents out there. He's such a craftsman with his writing. There's so much care and devotion there. Also, I don't think many people realize it, but a lot of small presses (like WRP) are dependent on his well-honed design skills. The covers he designs are immaculately constructed. There wouldn't be as many small press books out there if it wasn't for him.

5. If you were in charge of picking a theme song for Pilcrow Lit Fest this year, what would it be?

"Follow the Swallow" by Deckard. Choice lyrics: "This is the future, how does it suit ya?" and "Here's a dream I dare to dream right now," but, you know, in a non-emo way.

No comments: