5/01/2008

Five with Laural Winter

I met our next guest at 2007's (Downtown) Omaha Lit Fest and immediately thought she was just so fun to talk with and she was part of the original "hey-let's-start-a-lit-fest" discussion. So, I'm pleased to present our next guest in Pilcrow Lit Fest's "Five with" interview series, Laural Winter.

1. What are you working on now?

As a writer I am writing a novella about teens hanging out in Portland, Oregon. I write several pages almost everyday. I started writing it with National Novel Writing Month last November. I am having a lot of fun with the characters and their adventures with popularity, dating, love, and self determination. I am also working on a collection of love poems. And I am trying my hand at blogging too.

As a librarian I am speaking in early May at the Oregon Virtual Reference Summit. This month I am helping staff a table at the Stumptown Comics Fest. I am making zines for this outreach event. We do a zine called Where to Find Zines in Portland. And we also do a zine called Where to Find Comics in Portland. I am making about 250 copies in the next few days. Today I am coordinating a program at the Central Library with Jason Shiga (Bookhunter), Elijah Brubaker (Reich) and Aron Nels Steinke. I love my job!

2.What is your favorite part of literary festivals and why?

My favorite part is walking away from a festival motivated and inspired. I become inspired through making new friends and participating in the festival. I like attending and participating in the readings and panels with people who want to be there. It gives me the feeling of a community connection. Because Amy, you are right-- Writing is usually a solitary process. I always envied my friends who were in bands. They work together for days or weeks on a song or album. So I guess being part of a literary festival feels like I am a BOOKSTAR rather than a rockstar.

3. Who are your favorite small press mover/shaker types at the minute?

Well, I tend to know or pay attention to the locals in Portland Oregon. I watch Sparkplug Comic Books, Tugboat Press or Future Tense Publishing. I have been watching Kevin Sampsell of Future Tense Publishing for years. He's definitely a mover and shaker. And he's one of my faves.

4. Which author do you wish was coming to Pilcrow Lit Fest this year who is not?

Jancee Dunn. I loved her biography But Enough About Me. It was hysterical and moving at the same time. Still laugh about it though I read it a year ago.

David Sedaris- still haven't seen him live. And I 'd love to see him on a panel especially a controversial one.

Cecil Castelucci- love her young adult novels and her graphic novels. They are bittersweet and cool at the same time.

Also two friends from Portland Oregon who are authors: Sara Ryan (Empress of the World) and Blake Nelson (Paranoid Park). I wish they were coming so there could be a Portland Posse.

5. If you were in charge of picking a theme song for Pilcrow Lit Fest this year, what would it be?

Le Tigre's "Get off the internet!" Because I want to say come on down to the Pilcrow Lit Fest we will show you a good time! Or at least get off the internet and go to a book store or library.

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

No comments: